Designated by the UN General Assembly in 1993, World Water Day is celebrated each March 22nd. This year's theme for World Water Day is "Water and Sustainable Development." It is about how water links to all areas we need to consider to create a more sustainable future.
According to UN Water, a day for water and water for sustainable development includes the following considerations:
- Water is health – clean hands can save your life.
- Water is nature – ecocystems lie at the heart of the global water cycle.
- Water is urbanization – every week one million people move into cities.
- Water is industry – more water is used to manufacture a car than fill a swimming pool.
- Water is energy – water and energy are inseparable friends.
- Water is food – to produce two steaks, you need 15,000 liters of water.
- Water is equality – every day women spend millions of hours carrying water.